Throughout history, the capturing of one's likeness was a special occasion that marked an event, or an elevation to a status. Entire towns would come together to see a travelling specialist to have their portraits taken. With the advent of cheap disposable digital photography, the occasion has been lost along with the importance of process. Simulacrum aims to bring back the importance of the capturing of one's likeness, to mark it as being an important and special occasion, with the outcome being something worthy of marvel and intrigue.
The Mildura Wentworth Arts Festival is inviting members of the community to nominate people to participate in a 3D scanning and printing portraiture project – reinventing the idea of capturing one’s image as being a special and memorable occasion. Artists from Cake Industries will capture 3D image data scans of participants, which will be formed into 3D printed portraits and placed into specially built frames that light and animate them.
Guidelines for Nominations
· We are looking for a good cross section of people that represent the diverse community of Sunraysia – we recommend people of different cultural backgrounds, genders, age, socio-economic backgrounds, professions, hobbies, sexual-identity and abilities.
· Your nomination should be of someone who demonstrates qualities of leadership, hard work, achievement, participation and who embodies community spirit. It could be an ‘unsung hero’, a hard working volunteer, someone you feels deserves recognition, or who is an inspiration to you.
· The nominated person is encouraged to wear something during the scanning that is unique to them and highlights their identity or achievements ie. if you are nominating someone for their academic commitments, they should wear their graduation cap, a baseball player should wear their helmet, a martial arts person should wear their uniform, a performer should wear their stage costume. The portrait will be from the waist up.
· The nominated person must be over 12 years of age.
· The nominated person must be able to sit very still for at least ten minutes during the scanning process.
· The nominated person must be available for 30-60 minutes between 9.00am – 5.00pm on 24 and 25 March as the scanning will take place at some point across these two days.
To make a nomination, please complete a nomination form (download from MWAF home page) and return it to Arts Mildura by 5.00pm, Wednesday 18 March 2015. 15 people will be selected and notified on Friday 20 March.
The final portraits will be installed as part of the Experimenta Recharge exhibition which will be open in Mildura at the ADFA Building from 5th March – 12th April. The portraits will then travel to a number of other towns as part of the travelling exhibition, before being returned to Mildura where individuals can collect their personal 3D portrait as a keepsake.
For more information about Cake Industries and the process, please contact Arts Mildura or see the Artist profile page.
Image credit: Cake Industries, Simulacrum 2014, 3D printed portraits, frame, LED lights, motors. 92 x 130 x 25 cm